Wigs have become an essential accessory for people who want to switch up their hairstyle or cover up hair loss. Whether you’re experiencing hair thinning or just want to experiment with different styles and colors, wigs are a versatile and convenient option. However, when it comes to wearing high-quality wigs, there’s often a question of whether or not they need to be washed before use. In this article, we’ll discuss whether you should wash high-quality wigs before wearing them and the differences between human hair wigs and synthetic wigs in terms of washing.
Firstly, it’s important to note that high-quality wigs are typically made with high-grade materials, ensuring that they look and feel natural. Human hair wigs are made from real human hair and can be styled just like your natural hair. They’re more expensive than synthetic wigs, but they have the advantage of being more durable and long-lasting. Synthetic wigs, on the other hand, are made from synthetic fibers and are a more affordable option. They’re pre-styled, but they’re also low maintenance and don’t require as much upkeep as human hair wigs.
Now, let’s talk about washing high-quality wigs before wearing them. The short answer is yes, you should wash your wig before wearing it, regardless of whether it’s a human hair wig or a synthetic wig. Here’s why:
- To Remove Any Residue: High-quality wigs often come with a residue or coating on them, which can make them look shiny or feel stiff. Washing your wig before wearing it can remove this residue and make it look and feel more natural.
- To Get Rid of Any Odors: Wigs can sometimes have a slight smell due to the packaging or manufacturing process. Washing your wig can help get rid of any unwanted odors.
- To Avoid Irritation: If you have sensitive skin, wearing a wig that hasn’t been washed can cause irritation or an allergic reaction. Washing your wig before wearing it can eliminate this risk.
So, now that we’ve established the importance of washing high-quality wigs before wearing them, let’s dive into the differences between washing human hair wigs and synthetic wigs.
Washing Human Hair Wigs:
When it comes to washing human hair wigs, it’s essential to be gentle and use the right products. Here are the steps you should follow:
- Fill a sink or basin with cool water and add a small amount of shampoo specifically designed for human hair wigs. Swish the wig around in the water to distribute the shampoo, but be careful not to rub or scrub the wig.
- Rinse the wig thoroughly with cool water until all the shampoo is removed. Don’t twist or wring the wig, as this can cause damage.
- Apply a conditioner specifically designed for human hair wigs, focusing on the ends of the wig. Leave the conditioner in for a few minutes before rinsing it out with cool water.
- Gently pat the wig with a towel to remove excess water. Be careful not to rub or twist the wig.
Place the wig on a wig stand and allow it to air dry. Avoid using a hairdryer, but you can style your human hair wigs with heat tools after they are completely dry.
Washing Synthetic Wigs:
Washing synthetic wigs is a bit different from washing human hair wigs. The main difference is that you should use shampoo and conditioner that are specially designed for synthetic wigs. Other than that, you can follow the same washing procedure as human hair wigs. When you’re done with washing, place the wig on a wig stand and allow it to air dry. Don’t use a hairdryer or expose the wig to heat, as this can damage the synthetic fibers.
It’s important to note that while both human hair wigs and synthetic wigs need to be washed before wearing, the frequency of washing can vary. Human hair wigs should be washed after 10-14 wears or when they start to feel dirty or oily, while synthetic wigs can be washed after 6-8 wears or when they start to look dull or feel sticky.
In conclusion, washing high-quality wigs before wearing them is a crucial step in ensuring that they look and feel natural, fit securely, and don’t cause any irritation or allergic reactions. Whether you have a human hair wig or a synthetic wig, following the right washing and drying techniques can help prolong the life of your wig and keep it looking its best. So, next time you invest in a high-quality wig, don’t forget to give it a good wash before wearing it!